After decapping around 3K of once fired 223 brass the APP started acting finicky, the long spring would bind and the red feeder was getting ‘gritty’ . I contacted Lee to see what they recommended for maintenance. Here is their reply (I changed the employee name to LeeDude):
LeeDude @ Lee Precision
Staff – 07/27/2020 9:27 am
Keep the black slide rail clean.
Lubricate the two steel columns the upper toolhead rides on, with oil.
Lee Precision, Inc.
4275 County Road U
Hartford, WI 53027
Easy enough, here is how I did it.
Got everything I needed together and took it apart:
You can see the build up on the Black Slide Rail:
There was also build up on the top and bottom of the Molded parts riser:
I dropped them in my Harbor Freight ultra sonic cleaner using water and a cap full of purple Simple Green.
Wiped them down and lightly oiled the two steel columns and shell plate. The instructions say “STP motor oil treatment or motor oil” I used 3 in one on the steel columns and Ballistol on the shell plate.
The AR-15 started life as the AR-10, designed by Eugene Stoner, Robert Fremont, and L. James Sullivan of the Fairchild ArmaLite Corporation. The AR-10 was chambered in .30-06 and later modified to accept 7.62mm NATO rounds. The AR-15 was developed to be a lighter, .223 / 5.56 NATO version of the AR – ArmaLite 10. ArmaLite sold the rights for the rifle to Colt in 1959. Colt marketed the AR-15 rifle to various military services around the world, including the U.S. with varying results. The AR-15 was eventually adopted by the United States military under the designation M16.
In 1960, General Curtis LeMay was so impressed by a demonstration of the ArmaLite AR-15 that when he was promoted to United States Air Force, Chief of Staff, he requested 80,000 AR-15s for the Air Force. In 1962 the U.S. Army special operations units started using the AR-15 later designated the M16 for special operations in Southeast Asia. Service members reported to have liked the stopping power of the light weight rifle in reports back to the rear. In January 1963, Secretary McNamara received reports that M14 production was insufficient to meet the needs of the armed forces and ordered a halt to their production. The AR15 was the only rifle that could fill the requirements of the U.S. Military. In 1982 the M16A2 was officially adopted as “U.S. Rifle, 5.56mm, M16A2”
The AR15 is an air cooled, gas operated, semi-automatic, automatic, magazine fed, shoulder fired weapon. Later A2 versions were upgraded with round hand guards, an easy rear sight adjustment ‘dial’ and the M16A2 fire selector lever auto selection had been replaced with 3 round burst. Eugene Stoner had implemented a unique modular design that that gave the rifle much flexibility. You can get 7 ½ inch through over 24 inches long barrels ranging in calibers from .22 through .50BMG. The direct gas system does not use the then conventional piston and rod instead it uses the gas tube to feed gases into the receiver. The magazines range from 10 thru 40 double stacked rounds to 100 round drums.
This is a very practical firearm because of its modular design. To me that means that you can purchase one weapon and use the accessories you need to meet your needs for a particular mission. Be it, hunting, home defense, or just at the range plinking away. The AR15 will suit your need like no other firearm can.
We got our steel targets from MOA targets . Man is shooting steel fun! We got 1 – 1/4 inch AR400 and 1 – 3/8 AR500 targets. I threw one of the targets I cut into the mix as well. All 8 inch. By the way, the AR400 I thought I had is mild steel, you will see as the video series progresses.
In a nut shell all 3 handled pistol up to .45 at 10 to 15 Yards without penetration. The Mild had some dents, AR 400 and AR 500 nada.
Here is the Color Code:
Black = Mild Steel, We cut
Yellow = MOA Targets AR500
Orange = MOA Targets AR400
There is a lot of talk about steel targets. You can go on line and find enough information to boggle your mind. I decided to go with ¼ inch AR400 steel gongs. These are for my personal use, nothing more. I will post pictures after I light them up.
Here is shot of the 4×8 sheet.
I had to remember how to use my plasma cutter. It was not pretty, but I got it done:
With my Army back, I found it very hard to work on the floor so broke down the plate into smaller lighter sections. With help we put it up on some saw horses to make it easier to cut.
I also discovered these little gems from Swag Off Road. I put the screw and washer in one of the unused holes to create an adjustable stand off. I just adjust for the locations and tighten down the 2 nuts to keep my cutting tip off the steel.