After insulating the shop attic I decided to put in a window AC. I was originally thinking of putting in a small split unit, but went with a window unit instead. I will only use it when I am in there and the split unit after install would cost around 4 times my window unit. The unit is properly sized for the shop; there are all kinds of sites to help get the right size so I am not going to get into it. It is a 110/120 volt 12.5 Amp unit. I put it on its own 20 amp circuit. Power tools draw a fair amount of amps and my band saw would have been on the same circuit drawing over 10 amps and that would have pushed it over.
So I stuffed it in the window:
It was designed to hang there, and I think they did a great job engineering it. But, I like to have more peace of mind. I have this fear of coming out after a good wind storm and finding it on the ground and a gaping hole in its place. So I built a brace using 2×4’s and saw horse braces you can get in the big stores. I put a couple coats of Poly on it to protect it from the elements. I also put in adjustable feet I got at the wood store. I assume that the wood will shrink in the elements. The feet have plastic bottoms and can adjust up to 4 inches.
The last thing I wanted to improve on was the insulation around the unit. It has thin accordion plastic “wings” that don’t stop much. So I got a piece of ¾ inch foam sheet from the home improvement store, they only had 4 x 8 sheets, lucky me. I cut out a piece to fit around the unit.
I think it came out pretty good. I think next on the HVAC list is to insulate the garage door. put that is another post!