We decided to replace the old single pane windows in the old homestead. Here is what the original mobile home windows looked like:
We removed the shutters and about 100 screws holding in the old window and popped it out. We replaced the windows while the weather was cool so we would not waste more energy than needed.
We took about an inch off the window board:
Then we slid in the new PlyGem double pane tinted windows.
Applied the cedar trim and sealed it up. We will paint it when we do the whole house:
We got these windows at HD for about $100 each. To us they are well worth the investment and we will soon see a return. Now all of our windows are energy efficient, open easily, and have screens.
We got the floor done and trimmed in the master, came out pretty good.
Got a lot done in the bathroom as well, can not even tell the Garden tub was ever there:
The wife had a great idea to use cloth to cover the access panels on the wall next to the shower. If we need access or just want a change all we have to do is un-tack it.
Still need to do some touch up and finish work but it is done for the most part.
It is hotter than heck outside so it is time to do some indoor projects. One of the big ones we have been wanting to do is remove the massive, round, ugly garden tub from the master bath. I think the pool in our other house was smaller than this thing. And yes, that is shag carpet on the side…
We shut off the water and disconnected the water and drain pipes. Lucky for us there was an access panel making it a lot easier for us. We removed the 4 screws holding it down and the garden tub came right out.
Knocked down and remove the frame and we are left with pipe and a huge hole.
We removed the flooring all the way down to the plywood which is in really good shape minus the massive hole. Very happy about that. Newer homes use OSB we have 3/4 inch thick quality plywood.
We cut and capped all the lines, turned the water back on to make sure we did not have any leaks. Then we placed everything under the floor put in some insulation and spray foamed the hole. We will cut it flush when it is dry and we start to lay the new flooring.
One of the things we did as we are ripping stuff apart is to look at the AC/Heating vents. We noticed that they were dirty and not sealed very well. It looked like they had been taped at one time, but it was worn off.
We cleaned and re-sealed:
I don’t know if this happens to other folks, sometimes when you start something you get a little carried away? Yea…. No more carpet in the master or the closet.
Hey the floors look good in here too! Now for some touch up painting and flooring.
Well we needed 3 more loads of dirt for the shop, after 9 loads already delivered to the same spot we discovered that the water line was not where we thought it was:
After a little digging and cleaning it was ready to fix. Really sucks when it is cold BTW:
Quick and dirty Repair! It is cold and the family needs water, like many things you dont realize how much until it is gone!
No to continue with the shop!
Well the reason I have not been posting anything lately is that we have moved. A lot more work than I thought it was going to be! Both mentally and physically. I am sure that the new owners will enjoy it as much as we did.
We are down sizing quite a bit and decided to go with PODS for the stuff that wont fit right away. Mostly shop and brewery, you really realize what you have when you pack it all up.
Shot of the nearly empty shop
Here is a shot of the new backyard.
Cant wait to get started on the new shop!